Every great content marketer and writer do their homework. You research as much as a grad student preparing to defend their dissertation (ok, maybe not quite that much), and there never seems to be an end to your work. Why? The face of marketing in our digital age changes by the day. One day SEO is all the rage, the next it’s paid social, then the experts offer basic tips that you used back in the ’80’s. Instead of giving you more tips, today I will provide a list of 4 exceptional articles that will help you elevate your content marketing game.
4 Exceptional Content Marketing Articles to Help Elevate Your Marketing Game
1. Visual Content Strategy: The New ‘Black’ for Content Marketers, by Neil Patel
Article Highlights from Neil:
- You don’t stand a chance unless your content is packed with visuals.
- A whopping 66% of all social media posts are or includes images. More than half of all Internet users have posted original video content or reposted visual content.
- Content with images gets 94% more views than content sans images. It doesn’t matter what industry, topic, niche, or specialty, images matter.
- If you write a blog post and add some images, your content will get 35% more re-shares.
Use a featured image at the beginning of every article
- Use at least one image in your articles for every 350 words you write.
- A successful blog article should include a wide range of images.
- If you create custom images, original data, or an infographic, put your logo on it.
- Whenever you add an image to your blog post, add an alt tag for SEO purposes.
The article continues with loads of important tips and information about integrating visuals into your content strategy. Be sure to read the entire article, as these are just highlights.
2. Why Strong Writing is a Skill to Prioritize in 2016 (And How to Hire Great Writers), by Michelle Linn
Suggestions to becoming a better writer:
- Copy exceptional writing
- Create a structure
- Keep discipline
Read the article to learn the statistics behind why strong writing should be your top priority this year.
Accuweather has established six content marketing principles to achieve their position as one of the top-ranked mobile website in the U.S. Will their suggestions work for you? You will only know if you try:
- Content needs to be available when and where users want it.
- There are rewards to being an early adopter on new content platforms.
- Conversations need to be two-way.
- Content needs to be relevant, timely, and personalized.
- Crowdsourcing is the next logical step to content marketing.
- Focus on what you do best.
4. Simplify Your Content Marketing Strategy with a One-Page Plan, by George Stenitzer
George recommends to create a strategy for the following reasons. A one-page strategy can help you:
- Crystalize your content marketing strategy
- Gain stronger buy-in more quickly from executives or clients
- Keep content producers strategically aligned
Step 1 – Focus on what the organization needs to accomplish in the next year.
Step 2 – Work with mid-level marketing, sales, and product leaders to sketch a content marketing plan. That may mean you consult yourself about these aspects of your small business. Ask yourself, “How will content marketing help the company (your company) achieve its goals?”
Step 3 – Consider content marketing costs and ROI, whether this is for your own business or your CEO’s
Step 4 – Create a sleek template. Read the article for all the bells and whistles. The author provides great information about how to create your one-page content marketing strategy, from top to bottom.