What’s better than having friends of your brand? Having friends that are active participants and supporters of your brand on social media! Whether you’ve worked hard to build a solid following on Twitter, or if you’re still getting to that point, it’s important that you focus some of your efforts on building a community out of your followers. As an added benefit, you’ll soon notice that your following grows organically as your friendships grow.
Here are a few tips to help you up your likability on Twitter and turn those followers into friends of your brand.
- Vary your tweet media, types and content. Your Twitter feed will feel more natural if you mix photos with the odd blog post link with the odd question or offer. Limit the self-promotional call-to-action type posts and always remember to follow the social media 4-1-1 rule.
- Decide in advance what types of response you want from your community, then actively invite it. Don’t be shy about letting them know you want to engage them in conversation.
- Ask irresistible questions.
- Always answer questions. This is one of the most effective steps you can take – and it really will set you apart from the Twitter horde.
- Generously share information your followers will find priceless and do it without asking for anything in return.
- Keep your interactions social and friendly. It’s much easier to be friends with a brand that shows its human side than one that interacts with finesse of robot.
- Never swear or use coarse language.
- Use events to generate extra interest in your Twitter profile even while you are using Twitter to generate extra interest in your event. (But remember to seamlessly keep up the connection after the event is over!)
- Be positive. Respond to negative mentions of your brand with a positive, action-oriented perspective, and don’t ever take the bait to get into an argument. Also, don’t initiate or invite negativity on your own. Negativity kills engagement and triggers Unfollows.